2009 Feb 17 22:24

Re: [vox-tech] powersupply + capacitor whine when CPU is idle

Re: [vox-tech] powersupply + capacitor whine when CPU is idle

   i've never heard capacitors make noise and am
interested to know if that happens. my guess is
the noise is coming from a fan, either in the
power supply itself, or in the case, or on the
heatsink of the CPU, or....
   odd that the noise goes away when the CPU is
busy: maybe the CPU heatsink fan smooths up when
there's heat (frame or spindle alignment changes)?

   if the power supply breaks down, it may damage
data on your hard drive (i've seen multiple
lost+found directories nested because of the
jitters of a dying power supply--a big mess to
recover).