2009 Feb 09 17:50

Re: [vox-tech] keyboard problems after aptitude upgrade

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 12:51:13PM -0800, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> On Monday 09 February 2009, Troy Arnold wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 12:21:14PM -0800, Dylan Beaudette wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > ran aptitude upgrade this morning, and now the keyboard seems to have a
> > > funky layout in X.org... I can use the keyboard as usual from the
> > > console.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg?
> >
> > Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and set the Options for the input device
> > representing your keyboard?
> > Option "XkbLayout" "us"
>
> Thanks for the ideas Troy. Just tried this, without effect. The keyboard
> appears to be setup properly in X.org...
>
> I just tried another keyboard, and it does the exact same thing. The symptoms
> are very strange:
>
> - keys pressed several times will cause the caps lock LED to toggle on/off
> - the number pad keys work fine
> - the keyboard layout appears to be somewhat mixed up, although some letters
> appear to match the keyboard

That is funky.  Judging by your Kmail User-Agent, you might be using KDE.

If so, you should try the kde keyboard config widget.  kcontrol for kde
3.5x or system settings for 4x.

If you can't fix it quickly, try creating a new user and logging into KDE
as that user.  If it works, then you know the issue is with something in
your kde configs.

A KDE brainfart actually makes more sense to me than having xorg freakout
after an update.

-t