2008 Nov 21 08:15

Re: [vox-tech] uPnP can work in this case?

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:19:02PM -0500, Hai Yi wrote:
> Hello there:
>
> I have two computers one is ubuntu, the other is Windows vista. I
> installed synergy so that I can share the two OSes with one set of
> keyboard and mouse.
>
> Now I have a lot of Video / audio files on Windows but my speakers are
> hooked up with my Ubuntu. Every time I need to ssh files to Ubuntu to
> watch/listen them.
>
> if I want to play those files out from the speakers but don't want to
> transfer them,  I have the feeling that uPnP is the answer. But which
> one should be the server, or client?
>
> Anyone can point me a direction that I can follow?
>
> Thanks a lot!

How about making a shared folder on Windows to mount with smbfs
in Linux? It also looks like mplayer can play files directly with
smb so you don't have to mount it:
mplayer [file|mms[t]|http|http_proxy|rt[s]p|ftp|udp|unsv|smb]://
[user:pass@]URL[:port] [options]
I've never tried this and don't have any windows machines here,
so I don't know how well this works but it should do what you
want. You could also move the speakers.
Nick Schmalenberger