2008 Oct 29 15:37

Re: [vox-tech] burn directories to CDs

On Tuesday 28 October 2008 22:31, harke wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 October 2008 19:06, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> > harke wrote:

> > > You'll first need a file system on the cd
> > > so you could do
> > >      mkfs -t ext2 /dev/cdrom
> > >
> > > Notice that it is perfectly feasible to put an ext2 file system
> > > on a cd Of course certain other operating systems will not be
> > > able to read it.
> > >
> > > If you prefer to stick to an iso file system, just use the usual tools.
> >
> > I suppose if you want to be obscure, dumping data to /dev/cdrom is
> > one way... I prefer making my backups as self-documenting and simple
> > as possible.
> >
> > I also recognize that it is feasible to put alternate filesystems on a
> > CDR, but the above mkfs command won't work, given the fact that any data
> > written to a CDR must be written in one pass with no modifications, and
> > mkfs lays out data structures throughout the device file in random access
> > fashion with the expectation that data and directory entries will be
> > modified later.

Well, Iscrewed up my last reply. Let me try again.
I did make an error in suggesting you could directly do a mkfs
on a CD. What I have done in the past is to create an image. First
create a file of appropriate size. Then use loopback to have a device
interface. Now you can do mkfs. Then mount and use cpio -p
to move the data in. Finally, write to CD (cdrecord, maybe)

> > I think Brian's requirement to support multi-disk backups in standard
> > directory layout is a tall order... though there might be a tool out
> > there that supports this.  Seems like it would be hard to allocate disk
> > usage among small and large files in arbitrary directories on multiple
> > volumes. Read-only LVM? (very obscure... why bother with the directory
> > structure?)

I think what Brian is really looking for is multicd. This little
program (or script) will create Cd multiple Cd images and
put the breaks between files so if you need to restore just
one, you can get from a single CD. You can have multicd both make
images and write to CD or just make the images.

google multicd

Richard