2008 Oct 17 17:33

Re: [vox-tech] External USB webcam under Linux

Re: [vox-tech] External USB webcam under Linux

I use the logitech quickcam deluxe.  You can get cheaper ones, but
this one works great with cheese and skype etc, including support for
the built-in microphone and its noise-canceling and its auto-adjusting
light/brightness.  Great image (glass lens), focusing, etc.

I think all the logitech cameras are supported in the major distributions.

-C

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Brian Lavender <brian@brie.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:07:42PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>>
>> So thinking back, I was an idiot, not getting a Dell laptop with a webcam.
>> I mean... I'm the author of Tux Paint, right?  What better thing to do
>> in Tux Paint than scribble a mustache on your own picture, right?
>>
>> Anyway, I'm considering purchasing something, hopefully cheap and small.
>> I'm looking at Portvideo as a library to use (within Tux Paint),
>> which apparently uses Video4Linux behind the scenes.  (They suggest a
>> "Philips ToUcam Pro", which I cannot find on Amazon, and don't see on eBay).
>>
>> Does anyone here have one they can recommend?  And... if you have it handy,
>> would you be willing to try using it with Portvideo to see if it works? :)
>>
>> http://reactable.iua.upf.edu/?portvideo
>
> You could get the Dell Mini 9 with the webcam built in. :)
>
> http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DellMini9
> http://www.dell.com/
>
> I have one of those Phillips webcams too. It is the Logitech 4000, but
> it is a Phillips underneath and uses the same driver. It doesn't quite
> have a mount for the laptop though.
>
> brian
> --
> Brian Lavender