2008 Oct 14 13:11

Re: [vox-tech] External USB webcam under Linux

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:07:42PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> So thinking back, I was an idiot, not getting a Dell laptop with a webcam.
> I mean... I'm the author of Tux Paint, right?  What better thing to do
> in Tux Paint than scribble a mustache on your own picture, right?
>
> Anyway, I'm considering purchasing something, hopefully cheap and small.
> I'm looking at Portvideo as a library to use (within Tux Paint),
> which apparently uses Video4Linux behind the scenes.  (They suggest a
> "Philips ToUcam Pro", which I cannot find on Amazon, and don't see on eBay).
>
> Does anyone here have one they can recommend?  And... if you have it handy,
> would you be willing to try using it with Portvideo to see if it works? :)
>
> http://reactable.iua.upf.edu/?portvideo

You could get the Dell Mini 9 with the webcam built in. :)

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DellMini9
http://www.dell.com/

I have one of those Phillips webcams too. It is the Logitech 4000, but
it is a Phillips underneath and uses the same driver. It doesn't quite
have a mount for the laptop though.

brian
--
Brian Lavender