2008 Sep 26 15:28

[vox-tech] usb stick stopped mounting

It's odd, but one of my usb sticks stopped mounting automatically and in
fact doesn't want to work at all.

dmesg gives:
[  724.103868] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Device not ready: Sense Key : Not Ready
[current]
[  724.103871] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Device not ready: Add. Sense: Medium
not present
[  724.103874] end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 32

Other usb drives are working fine, and this stick still works fine on
windows too. fdisk, mount, gparted all fail to see /dev/sdb

There are 2 things I can think of that might have caused the error. The
first is that I was running applications off the drive through wine.
Specifically portableapps.com , maybe I didn't unmount it cleanly or
something although I'm sure I shut down wine and did a normal unmount
before removing it.

Option 2 is somehow installing Virtualbox has screwed with it or the usb
  drive mounting rules.

Any ideas where to even start, I would backup and reformat if I thought
I could but without it mounting that doesn't exactly make that possible.

Thanks,
Alex