2008 Sep 25 12:58

Re: [vox-tech] Record my desktop - how to record app sounds?

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> I'm on Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Inspiron 1525.  I'm trying to convince
> recordmydesktop (either directly, or via krecordmydesktop or
> gtk-recordMyDesktop) to record audio coming out of apps.
>
> I'm not sure what kind of mix settings to use, what, precisely, I should
> be telling RMD (other than "record audio" :^) ), etc.
>
> I've tried with and without KDE's sound daemon running (arts), and
> tried tweaking the "Capture" settings in alsamixer and kmix alike.
>
> Anyone have experience with this?  (I'd really like to replace the old
> 'silent movies' of Tux Paint with something newer, and with audio... and
> maybe eventually with some mic-recorded dialog.  Make a real 'screencast' :) )
>
> Thx!

Everytime I've seen this come up, people record the audio separate and
mash it back together. ie run audacity in the background and then use
mplayer/mencoder to put them together. Or make the film and record the
audio while editing in kino etc.

Alex