2008 Sep 22 17:03

Re: [vox-tech] Video problem with Ubuntu Server install

Jeffrey Nonken wrote:
> It starts up in text mode!
>
> ... But that's not my problem. I just wanted to see how many I caught
> off-guard. :)
>
> Seriously, this is what happens when I boot:
>
> http://www.nonken.net/images/console_problem.JPG
>
> See those shadowy bits? That's not reflection, that's what it looks
> like, except the bits are kind of crawling in circles.
>
> And oh by the way, it's sitting at the login prompt.
>
> It's a C&T 69000 on-board video processor with 2 meg of memory. Hardly
> an exotic card. And it works fine otherwise, it just seems like Ubuntu
> is kicking it into a mode it doesn't support.
>
> Here's my dmesg: http://www.nonken.net/images/console_problem.txt
>
> Google doesn't tell me much; most people seem concerned with X issues.
>
> Any hints? Clues? Advice, other than "throw it away and get a real
> system?" Jeez, I just want to run Subversion, TikiWiki, and a bug
> tracker, I don't need a powerhouse. Why is nothing ever that simple?

Try a different monitor.  That looks like the effects of a low-quality or
dying monitor.

You can also look into fbset, but near as I can tell (I haven't used it)
that program is greatly limited by the options available through the usual
drivers.