2008 Sep 07 16:29

Re: [vox-tech] vi problem: can't make back up file (add ! tooverride)

Re: [vox-tech] vi problem: can't make back up file (add ! tooverride)

Could you provide a little more information:

What distribution are you using? Have you installed any extra vim
packages (i.e. vim-full in ubuntu/debian)?  Perhaps you need to
install certain extensions, since the .vimrc is just providing the
configuration, not the actual support.  For instance, you can turn
syntax highlighting on by typing the command

stynax on

or by adding that line to your own .vimrc.

Could you attach the .vimrc and .exrc files you are using?

-C

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Hai Yi <yihai2004@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have downloaded two configuration files for VIM, one is .exrc and
> the other .vimrc
>
> After these two files are applied, the vi editor starts to support
> color syntax (maybe other feature as well). However after I edited a
> CPP file and wanted to save it, I encountered this error message:
>
> can't make back up file (add ! to override)
>
> Therefore the file is not able to be saved.
>
> Anyone knows how to handle this error?
>

> Thanks for the suggestions!
>
> Hai

Carl Boettiger