2008 Aug 16 09:25

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu Security Software

Quoting Scott Miller (scottlinux@gmail.com):

[snip MS-Windows:]

> In Linux we are safer as we are running as limited users, and also all
> of the malware is targeted for Windows.

OTOH, I love Linux malware.  Fascinating stuff.  The ELF-infector class
are pretty pitiful, but tend to be implemented as payloads on other
attacks, e.g., as a backup means of keeping a UDP-based backdoor open
after the bad guy has entered through other means entirely.  Most of the
slightly, briefly successful malware were "worms" that essentially were
canned attacks against obsolete versions of buggy network daemons.  My
rundown:

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus#virus5