2008 Jul 29 17:08

Re: [vox-tech] Classic Atari Trakball as input device underX-Window?

On Monday 28 July 2008 15:56, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> So I've got three great tastes that I think can taste great together:
>
> 1. Linux & X-Window
> 2. Stelladapter
> 3. Atari Trakball
>
> All of us here know what #1 is.  #2 is a device for PCs that allows you
> to connect Atari video game controllers (joystick, paddles, driving
> controllers) to a modern PC's USB port.
> (See: http://www.pixelspast.com/products/ )  And #3 is the trackball
> device for the Atari 2600 (VCS) and Atari 8-bit computers from the 1980s
> (See: http://www.atariage.com/2600/controllers/con_AtariTrakball2.jpg )
>
> The Trakball works similar to ball mice, just upside-down
> (See: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/mouse2.htm ).  On the Atari,
> you had to use machine-language to read the bits coming in from
> the joystick port -- BASIC was too slow to read the pulses in such a
> way to make any sense.
>
> On a PC, I imagine using Stelladapter + Trakball and then converting
> USB joystick input (which ends up being an analog interpretation of
> the Atari's digital joystick up/down/left/right bits).
>
> Anyone feel like helping me code this? :)  (read: coding it for me)

A few years ago, when I was inerested in Flightgear, I spent some
time going thru joystick.c If my memory is any good, it sounds
like the right driver for the combination you describe. I couldn't
reach those URL's for more info but it might be that most of
the work would be on the application side. Just what were you
planning to do??

Richard Harke