2008 Jul 04 06:12

Re: [vox-tech] missing partition table and smartctl output

Re: [vox-tech] missing partition table and smartctl output

DB> Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   060   060   030    Pre-fail  Always       -
DB> 1233573

DB> Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   108   100   006    Pre-fail  Always       -
DB> 17159523

DB> Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a   023   020   000    Old_age   Always       -
DB> 17159523

i don't think those indicate problems do they?  The real current values
are all above the threshold values.

DB> Could the hosed partition table been caused by the near catastrophic
DB> sparking, or indicative of possible disk failure. This disk is
DB> nearly brand new.

That'd be really odd, but anything is possible.  If so, you may be the
only person ever that it's happened to :-/

If that's what the head was hovering over (unlikely), and if the power
surge on the motherboard somehow worked it's way into the head itself,
odd things could have happened (unlikely).  Boy am I reaching!

When I built my mythtv machine from scratch that night about 3AM the
smoke alarm system went off all though the house.  I raced from my bed
to the machine (noting that the rest of the house was fine in passing)
and the alarm turned off right as I got there.  The room was fine; the
machine was fine; there was no smell of smoke.  In the end, I believe it
was a complete coincidence, but it sure was a weird one since that was
the *only* time the entire smoke alarm system went off randomly.  I
cleaned out all the alarms the next day (spiderwebs can cause problem,
apparently).  But I still have this "what happened" question in my mind
that will never be answered.  I suspect you will too... :-/