2008 Apr 02 13:15

Re: [vox-tech] Fwd: minicom on macbook

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Deepan posted this from a non-subscribed address.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from vox-tech-bounces@lists.lugod.org -----
>
> Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 07:15:42 +0530
> From: Deepan <codeshepherd@gmail.com>
> Subject: minicom on macbook
> To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
>
> Hi All,
> I would like to use serial port in macbook. I
> guess usb to serial port convertor is the only
> possible option. I wonder if it is possible to use
> minicom in macbook to play with serial port (in
> usb to serial port converter). Please let me know
> if anyone has tried it.
> Regards
> Deepan
> Sudoku Solver: http://www.sudoku-solver.net/

I haven't tried anything like that with a macbook (because my fairy
godparent hasn't gifted me with one ... dang them ... ) but I was
successful in using minicom to talk through a USB-to-Serial adapter
cable to a cisco router's console port on my linux (ubuntu) laptop.

However, that's not mac... but thanks to some googlemagic, I found a
couple of people who had SOME success with Mac hardware and an adapter:

http://www.ciscoblog.com/archives/2006/05/macbook_pro_usb.html

http://blogs.msdn.com/cwilso/archive/2007/05/15/why-i-love-my-macbook-but-microsoft-too.aspx

In both cases, it took a number of steps ... but it seems they got the
link working.

Hope this helps.