January 6: Social gathering
2008 Mar 21 11:54

Re: [vox-tech] c code question

Carl,

Here's what you do:

Write your columns as rows.  Don't worry about whether some are longer
than others, just precede each element with a single space or tab
(whitespace at the beginning of the file will be ignored when you import
the file into Matlab, at the end it will be interpreted as a missing
value), and print a newline after the last element.  You'll end up with
a file that may or may not have the same number of elements in each
row.  If you read this into Matlab with dlmread(), it will pad the rows
out with zeros to the length of the longest row.  If zeros are OK, then
transpose the array, and you've got your columns:

 >> M = dlmread('/path/to/file.txt');
 >> M = M';

If you want to be able to distinguish the missing values from real zeros
in the data, then use textread() in Matlab:

 >> M = textread('/path/to/file.txt', '', 'emptyvalue', NaN);
 >> M = M';

And you're golden.  The second argument in the textread() call is an
empty string, NOT a double quotation mark.

Matt