2008 Mar 06 09:54

Re: [vox-tech] USB disk drive problem

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, I had already tried them.

By the way everyone, I had my friend boot up Knoppix, and sure enough,
his USB hard drive was read just fine.  This was an OLD version of
Knoppix, about two years, which he happened to have lying around the
house.  I wonder if there might be a kernel issue here?  Any opinions?

> Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 18:29:06 -0800
> From: Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
> Subject: Re: [vox-tech] USB disk drive problem

> I assume you're talking a USB-based floppy drive?  A quick google brought
> up this, which I'm not sure if you looked at yet:

Not, it isn't a floppy.  It's a 250G hard drive.

It's a Western Digital SATA, placed in an enclosure that converts to USB.

>   http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x498.html

Thanks, but I'm afraid there is nothing here which is new to me.  Been
there, tried that.

> Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 21:30:32 -0800
> From: "Drew Arnett" <arnett.drew@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [vox-tech] USB disk drive problem

> A couple of years ago, I would sometimes find it helpful to see what
> shows up in dmesg when the USB device is plugged in.

Yes, I had him do extensive grep searches of the dmesg output (searching
for "usb", "Attached", "scsi emulation" etc.).  It was the blind leading
the blind, though, as there's a lot in there that I don't understand.

Certainly the OS noticed that the USB hard drive was plugged in.  There
was an error message of -110, but I couldn't find any site that explains
what this error actually is.

Norm