January 6: Social gathering
2008 Mar 05 04:54

Re: [vox-tech] hardware for linux or bsd based router?

Drew Arnett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was thinking about replacing the old, hulking, and yet free free
> pentium 100 based router I have at home with something newer, smaller,
> and hopefully fanless or at least very quiet.  Anybody have any
> suggestions for a platform or places to shop?
>
> I did a bit of browsing and see some possible interesting platforms.
> Mini-itx looks to be a very popular form factor.  I see some nice low
> power fanless VIA CPU boards from at least Via and Jetway.  Any other
> mfgs?  Any recommended retailers?  What about AMD's Geode?
>
> Slightly smaller SBC platforms are of interest, too, although they
> might be a bit more work to setup.  There's a fairly wide variety of
> processors in a mid-horsepower range.  Soekeris, Mikrotik, and PC
> Engines are a few manufacturers in this range that look interesting.
> Any others?  Retailers?
>
> Also in this range are the repurposed consumer products including the
> Linksys NLSU2.  That unit doesn't appear to be available from as many
> retailers any more. Are there any recommended or popular products of a
> similar ilk for repurposing?

You can actually get a NSLU2 at a bunch of places.  I've seen em on
Newegg, and Fry's website.   I bought mine, which I got around 1 month
ago from eBay.  However the Slug is not really a router, even though you
can make it one with some ease.  The worst thing about the Slug is that
the devices added on will be USB, which at least in the disk department
is kinda fragile.  Not sure about network USB stuff, I have little
experience with it.

I've been using OpenWRT's Table of Hardware (URL is
http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware ) to determine what to go with
next.  I've currently a NetGear WGR614, which is not(at least in my
googling) extensible.  I'm thinking of replacing it(and upgrading my
home wireless to "N") with a Linksys WRT300N or a WRT350N.