2008 Mar 03 22:42

Re: [vox-tech] hardware for linux or bsd based router?

Re: [vox-tech] hardware for linux or bsd based router?

You didn't mention how much traffic you planned to handle, but I'd at least
consider something like the linksys WRTSL54GS.  It's well supported by various
linux distributions designed for use as routers/firewalls.

I like that particular model because is has 2-4 times the ram, storage, and
CPU of other models.  Not to mention a USB port if you want to add some
storage or other devices (I was thinking of a webcam).

I suspect you could by two for fallover and still be cheaper than many other
options.

Certainly not going to be as fast as some of the SBC platforms at 800 MHz and
up, but possibly plenty, cheap, and reliable.  Not that the soekeris doesn't
sound interesting, if anyone has additional details on the mesh networking
and the soekeris please post.