2008 Mar 03 20:51

Re: [vox-tech] hardware for linux or bsd based router?

Drew Arnett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was thinking about replacing the old, hulking, and yet free free
> pentium 100 based router I have at home with something newer, smaller,
> and hopefully fanless or at least very quiet.  Anybody have any
> suggestions for a platform or places to shop?
>
> I did a bit of browsing and see some possible interesting platforms.
> Mini-itx looks to be a very popular form factor.  I see some nice low
> power fanless VIA CPU boards from at least Via and Jetway.  Any other
> mfgs?  Any recommended retailers?  What about AMD's Geode?
>
> Slightly smaller SBC platforms are of interest, too, although they
> might be a bit more work to setup.  There's a fairly wide variety of
> processors in a mid-horsepower range.  Soekeris, Mikrotik, and PC
> Engines are a few manufacturers in this range that look interesting.
> Any others?  Retailers?
>
> Also in this range are the repurposed consumer products including the
> Linksys NLSU2.  That unit doesn't appear to be available from as many
> retailers any more. Are there any recommended or popular products of a
> similar ilk for repurposing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drew

A lab at UCD is running a Mesh Network on Soekeris and instaconnect runs
a bunch of them, Ryan the old LUGOD president worked for them for a
while and turned me towards those as good devices.

They're fanless, solid state flash memory, reboot on power loss
automatically and can have all sorts of attachments. The Mesh network
has 1/2 mile directional antenna craziness going on using off the shelf
mini-pci wifi and external antennas.

Now of course this depends on how little or much you want to configure.

Alex