2008 Mar 04 19:08

[vox-tech] hardware for linux or bsd based router?

[vox-tech] hardware for linux or bsd based router?

Hi,

I was thinking about replacing the old, hulking, and yet free free
pentium 100 based router I have at home with something newer, smaller,
and hopefully fanless or at least very quiet.  Anybody have any
suggestions for a platform or places to shop?

I did a bit of browsing and see some possible interesting platforms.
Mini-itx looks to be a very popular form factor.  I see some nice low
power fanless VIA CPU boards from at least Via and Jetway.  Any other
mfgs?  Any recommended retailers?  What about AMD's Geode?

Slightly smaller SBC platforms are of interest, too, although they
might be a bit more work to setup.  There's a fairly wide variety of
processors in a mid-horsepower range.  Soekeris, Mikrotik, and PC
Engines are a few manufacturers in this range that look interesting.
Any others?  Retailers?

Also in this range are the repurposed consumer products including the
Linksys NLSU2.  That unit doesn't appear to be available from as many
retailers any more. Are there any recommended or popular products of a
similar ilk for repurposing?

Thanks,

Drew