2008 Jan 25 19:51

Re: [vox-tech] tips on linux power-saving features

Re: [vox-tech] tips on linux power-saving features

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with setting up a desktop linux machine to reduce CPU speed, or anything like that in off hours?

Ideally I would shut my machine off at the end of the day. However I tend to work remotely, sometimes at odd hours. Are there any mechanisms for going into a lower power mode on demand?

The machine in question is a dual xeon.

thanks!

Are you talking about standby/sleep mode or cpu scaling/hard drive spin down?

I've setup cpu scaling using powernowd and cpufreq.

It kinda sounds like you want to use the wake on lan feature of your motherboard which was specifically invented for this purpose. I've never tried it and I'm not sure about the security issues involved but check it out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

Alex