2008 Jan 16 13:58

Re: [vox-tech] collaborative data storage (of excel files)

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
On Tuesday 15 January 2008, Henry House wrote:
On 2008-01-15, wrote Dylan Beaudette:
[...]

YES - this is how I would approach this problem if I were in a position
to babysit their data. I have put together several LAPP
(linux-apache-postgres-php) projects- but only for things I was directly
working on. I was searching for some kind of compromise between doing it
correctly (i.e. a database) and doing it less incorrectly via SVN or the
like.
Well the good thing about using SVN is that at least no data will be
lost once it is committed. So even if person A overwrites person B's
work, the data can be recovered (albeit with manual intervention). And
if this happens it just might demonstrate the need for a proper
RDBMS-base solution to those in charge.
Yeah... It looks like they will be resorting to their old system of personal communication mitigated data disaster prevention (PCMDDP).... When it crashes and burns I think that I will have them go with an SVN + CSV file setup.

Thanks for all of the great ideas!

Dylan

I highly recommend using a real database with ODBC client access.
Microsoft Access is quite easy for Microsofties to get used to,
and has already been mentioned can serve as a front-end for connecting
to the shared data. OpenOffice can also present a tabular user interface
with no programming.  No programming means practically no maintenance on
your part.  They can use a query builder to get subsets of
the data, copy it into Excel, and analyze it to their hearts
content.  Another advantage of this is that it is easy to copy/paste
large blocks of data around (including appending their data to the table)
which is not so easy with a web interface.