2008 Jan 15 16:54

Re: [vox-tech] collaborative data storage (of excel files)

Re: [vox-tech] collaborative data storage (of excel files)

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Jimbo wrote:

"The next step up, sorta, might be to set up a web server with a very
simple CGI for appending records to the CSV and committing, accessed
via a web form. From there you could proceed to using an low-admin
database if you wanted."
Im glad I read thru the answers because that was the direction I was heading also.

Apparently its a huge database (unless you are doing extensive math things then it should be a database instead of a spreadsheet). But the individuals are not working with the entire database?

I would grab a LAMP book. There is even a dummies version which is usually great for getting a feel for something and deciding if you want to read further. L.A.M.P. Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP (or Perl).

Or you might even want to NOT go with direct updates. Use an old standard form CGI to retrieve data if necessary, take the changes, then process it by script. The script can update the database thru MySQL, AND also save off the original input with info on time, date, terminal, etc for tracking and verification purposes. If the updating of the database is done by cron working whats in a queue directory then it would simplify avoiding file access collisions.

Gandalf Parker