Re: [vox-tech] Corrupted root files

I'm using ext3 which i figured should be pretty safe.  I ran smartctl, didn't seem to find any errors on either my / or /home partition.

-Carl

On Dec 22, 2007 8:54 AM, Bill Broadley < bill@cse.ucdavis.edu> wrote:
BTW, in the past I've taken drives that looked pretty bad, producing tons of
errors, etc.  I ran the vendor provided (I forget it was maxtor or seagate
I think) utilities (I think they were handily found on the "ultimate boot
disk").  I ran the quick read only scan, found tons of errors.  I did the
destructive write test and it spent hours finding problems and fixed them.

I didn't trust it so I ran it again... zero errors.  I figured what the hell,
installed linux on it and ended up using it for another 1.5 years without a
single problem despite fairly heavy use.

Sure the risks are likely somewhat higher, but it might be worth a try.
Some areas of the drive are reserved, so once a bad block is discovered
they can be remapped (up to a certain number).