Re: [vox-tech] Sandisk sansa view review (from a linux perspective)

Re: [vox-tech] Sandisk sansa view review (from a linux perspective)

I remain shy of Sandisk stuff due to some consistently bad experiences
with various flash media.
Reviews on this unit still seem to be good, as long as you update
the firmware.

I'm partial to the iAudio stuff from Cowan, in large part because they're
How does the Cowan interact with linux? Via libmtp? Just as a storage device? Do the artist/album tags work? Can you rate music on the cowan
and sync it back to you library? Playlists? Album art?

As for the View I did manage to get libmtp working, and as a result album art works. I fixed my tagging issues by being careful about the version of tags I use and use easytag or id3v2 to upconvert any old tags I have.

Sound Juicer annoyingly doesn't set the genre, but I can't blame the player
for that.

openly supportive of "alternative" OS's.  You can flash their firmware
simply by copying it to the root directory of the device.  But their 16GB
product is currently more like $250.  The pros/cons are similar: sturdy
with a decent UI and GUI; flexible media organization; nice, but small
screen; but no way to encode video on Linux.  They do include some *very*
Wow, really? Proprietary video format? Seems like dvd::rip, handbrake,
ffmpeg and related manage all the portable devices (video ipods, psp, nokia and 770/800 among others).

nice-sounding earbuds (easily better than the other half dozen cheap and
mid-range sets I have lying around).
But... I recently got mine tangled and destroyed on my seatpost so I'm
looking for a replacement set. Any suggestions for nice-sounding earbuds
suitable for wear during aggressive trail riding?
Shure.