2007 Oct 26 11:33

Re: [vox-tech] Copying data from Windows share to Linux server*with* original date stamps and permissions

Re: [vox-tech] Copying data from Windows share to Linux server*with* original date stamps and permissions

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:25:58 -0700
Richard Burkhart <richard@khanfusion.net> wrote:

> Ken Bloom wrote:
> > (cd /src-dir; tar cf - *) | (cd /target-dir; tar xpf -)
> >
> > p is the flag to preserve permissions when extracting.
> >
> Thanks - that looks like what I'd seen out on the web.  I've tested
> it, and while it's slow, it seems to be copying the files across with
> the proper file dates. (It is changing the user/group settings to the
> userid/groupid of the shell I'm logged in with -- but my users are
> all members of that group, so this should not be a problem.)

I thought the p option to tar was supposed to do that. This was
(basically) the command I used to migrate my whole system to a new hard
drive, so I know it preserves ownership. It may be that you can only do
that if you're root.

> One additional question; how would I tweak the above statement so
> that I can copy a select handful of directories on the source, and
> have that directory structure show up on the target?   From my dim
> memories of shell scripting I think it would be:
>    ( for loop -- list directory M[6-7]0[1-7] into a variable {the 'm'
> directories are the only ones I'm concerned with})
>    --> (pass variable {w} directory name into the command above--for
> both the source and target directories).

/src-dir on the source will correspond to /target-dir on the target. If
you want to get subdirectories, just name those in place of the *, and
you'll get the same subdirectory structure in /target-dir as you named
on the source side.

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/