2007 Oct 19 13:26

Re: [vox-tech] Copying data from Windows share to Linux server*with* original date stamps and permissions

Re: [vox-tech] Copying data from Windows share to Linux server*with* original date stamps and permissions

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:19:47 -0700
Richard Burkhart <richard@khanfusion.net> wrote:

> Anyone have suggestions on a set of shell commands I can pipe
> together to:
>   - Batch transfer multiple files & directories from a windows
> (server 2000) machine onto a Linux machine
>   - Maintain as many of the original file permissions as will make it
> across the samba link
>   - Maintain the original file save dates from the windows side (the
> first time I did a mass cp, it changed all the target-file dates to
> the day of the copy)
>   - Set the archive bit on the source media, so that if I have to do
> this again to catch updates I can just grab updated files.
>
> Last night google led me to a website describing a way to start with
> tar, pipe that output to a couple of  commands to transfer to the new
> machine, then un-tar it out to the new drive.  Unfortunately, I can't
> find that page again -- and until I go home, I won't be able to check
> my browser history.

(cd /src-dir; tar cf - *) | (cd /target-dir; tar xpf -)

p is the flag to preserve permissions when extracting.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/