2007 Oct 19 12:15

Re: [vox-tech] Copying data from Windows share to Linux server *with*original date stamps and permissions

Wes Hardaker wrote:
RB> - Batch transfer multiple files & directories from a windows (server
RB> 2000) machine onto a Linux machine

Are you doing this whole thing for backup purposes or synchronizing?

If backups, consider looking at "bacula" to do backups which allows a
linux box to backup a windows box. I'm using that to back up a local
windows machine here to a linux filesystem. But it's not what you want
if you want a synchronized set as what you get in the backup volumes
are file volumes (multiple remote files in a big backup-file).
I'm synchronizing. The linux machine will eventually take over as server for the transferred data, but I need to confirm that everything is transferred *properly* (permissions, file modification dates, etc. all untouched) before I dump the data on the windows side.

I will be contemplating backups -- of both the windows and linux machines -- at a later date. (The backup method I inherited was kind of put together with bubblegum and bailing wire.) Thanks for the lead on bacula. Exploring that now.