2007 Oct 19 12:44

[vox-tech] Copying data from Windows share to Linux server *with*original date stamps and permissions

[vox-tech] Copying data from Windows share to Linux server *with*original date stamps and permissions

Anyone have suggestions on a set of shell commands I can pipe together to:
- Batch transfer multiple files & directories from a windows (server 2000) machine onto a Linux machine
- Maintain as many of the original file permissions as will make it across the samba link
- Maintain the original file save dates from the windows side (the first time I did a mass cp, it changed all the target-file dates to the day of the copy)
- Set the archive bit on the source media, so that if I have to do this again to catch updates I can just grab updated files.

Last night google led me to a website describing a way to start with tar, pipe that output to a couple of commands to transfer to the new machine, then un-tar it out to the new drive. Unfortunately, I can't find that page again -- and until I go home, I won't be able to check my browser history.

Suggestions? Help? Por favor?

Richard B.