January 6: Social gathering
2007 Sep 17 16:50

Re: [vox-tech] Fwd: Install Issues

Bill Kendrick wrote:
Pat send this before successfully subscribing to the list.
Fwd'ing it along for him.

Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:05:46 -0700
From: Pat <drummerpat@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Install Issues
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org

Hey Lugod,

I am new to Linux and after experiencing it in the computer labs in Kemper Hall on campus decided to give it a shot at home on my AMD Athlon 64 Bit Dual Core machine. I have now tried Mandriva Spring 2007 (DVD), Mandriva 2007 (CD), Fedora 7(DVD), and after a suggestion in your IRC channel I downloaded Knoppix to see if that would work. Every single one of these distributions gets me to the screen where I tell it to start the install (or to start Linux in Knoppix's case) and when I tell it to begin it loads a few files and then freezes. Any suggestions on why this might be and how to work around it? Thanks in advance for anything you guys can do.
I have zero experience with 64-bit machines... but two things occur to me:

a) You don't mention which architecture your distros were targeted to...
but I know there are separate 64-bit binary versions. My preference is
Ubuntu (well, Kubuntu), but I think they all offer separate versions.

b) There are a variety of boot options that can be specified at startup.
Play with Knoppix options (at the VERY FIRST prompt) to get a handle on which ones might be a problem for your hardware. If the hardware is
"compatible enough" with 32-bit architectures, this might be all you need
(though I would hope you would want the optimizations of using a 64-bit
operating system). Google for your motherboard and Linux... someone may
offer specific guidance.