2007 Aug 24 10:26

Re: [vox-tech] I'm over my head - need a cookbook for transferingsystem to new disks

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 06:36:00PM -0700, Bill Broadley wrote:

> I also figured I'd mentioned that with a mirror it's even easier.  I just
> did this to migrate from 2 250GB disks to 2 500GB disks.
>
> Something along the lines of:
> #1 Pull disk B, put it in a safe place in case this goes poorly.
> #2 Insert 500 GB disk B
> #3 partition disk b
> #4 hotraid add
> #5 install grub
> #6 wait for raid sync
> #7 shutdown, put 500 disk B in slot A and new 500GB disk in slot b
> #8 partition disk b
> #9 hotsync b
> #10 install grub
> #11 resize2fs and/or lvextend
>
> No need for partition magic, and most importantly if it goes poorly you
> have an original disk to use.  Partition magic and friends often work, but I
> wouldn't want to try them without a backup.  You have a backup... right?
>
> So there's potentially 3 things to change:
> 1) Software RAID
> 2) LVM (pvresize and/or lvextend)
> 3) Actual filesystem (resize2fs or friends)

That's pretty cool. Do you just partition the whole new 500 Gig new disk
with one md partition? And then do the pvresize on top of that?

ext2online will resize it while it is live. It can only grow though, not
shrink.

brian
--
Brian Lavender