2007 Aug 21 00:57

USB Drive mount failure (was Re: [vox-tech] Flash Drive mount failure)

USB Drive mount failure (was Re: [vox-tech] Flash Drive mount failure)

The dmesg info below suggests that the hardware in question is a regular
hard disk, not a flash drive as the old subject indicated.

More comments below.

Ted Deppner wrote:
I noticed with a Seagate "FreeAgent" 500G disk that it will internall
power itself down even though it's still mounted in the linux filesystem.
I have some other Seagates that handle this correctly, but the FreeAgent
does not.

My theory is that the FreeAgent "forgets" about its USB connection, in
addition to the drive spin down which is the cause of this problem...
linux would be happy to wait for a spinup alone.  A forced umount and
remount usually resolves this issue.

To better address this, I installed automount, which is designed to
unmount a partition after a period of no use, effectively removing it from
the filesystem before it actually would power itself down.  This isn't a
perfect solution and effectively relegates the FreeAgent drive to only a
"backup" drive since it cannot remain an active part of the filesystem
indefinitely (unless it's constantly being touched).

If I had purchased this drive as an "online always" disk I would have
returned it for another drive that handles this better.  As already
mentioned, other drives in the Seagate family do handle this properly and
work perfectly with linux.
This seems to be a problem on startup... not after extended use.

The fact that there are read errors on /dev/sda suggests to me that the
device appears to have failed. This _could_ be due to bad USB cables or power supply, so try swapping them out. It may also be a symptom only for
some sectors... if so, you can ignore errors and attempt to copy any
accessible bits off the drive using the "dd" command (google 'dd disk
recovery') and split them out... but if no valid bits come back from the
drive then you are hosed. (Note that if you can get good bits from the
rest of the drive, you will still have to split out the partitions into
separate pieces to get at the filesystem(s) on which to run fsck.)