2007 Aug 13 09:42

Re: [vox-tech] Flash Drive mount failure

Re: [vox-tech] Flash Drive mount failure

I noticed with a Seagate "FreeAgent" 500G disk that it will internall
power itself down even though it's still mounted in the linux filesystem.
I have some other Seagates that handle this correctly, but the FreeAgent
does not.

My theory is that the FreeAgent "forgets" about its USB connection, in
addition to the drive spin down which is the cause of this problem...
linux would be happy to wait for a spinup alone.  A forced umount and
remount usually resolves this issue.

To better address this, I installed automount, which is designed to
unmount a partition after a period of no use, effectively removing it from
the filesystem before it actually would power itself down.  This isn't a
perfect solution and effectively relegates the FreeAgent drive to only a
"backup" drive since it cannot remain an active part of the filesystem
indefinitely (unless it's constantly being touched).

If I had purchased this drive as an "online always" disk I would have
returned it for another drive that handles this better.  As already
mentioned, other drives in the Seagate family do handle this properly and
work perfectly with linux.

Ted Deppner
http://www.deppner.us/