2007 Aug 02 03:03

[vox-tech] Installation woes

I am attempting to refurbish an old Intel L440GX+ -based dual P-III server. It is currently running an outdated version of Debian. I wanted to Install Ubuntu Server on it.

When I installed Debian, I had to jump through some hoops, because as I recall, the Adaptec SCSI chip on the motherboard was not supported. I think I had to either hack the ISO, or maybe make some sort of boot floppy.

Well five years of driver developments did not help this situation. Ubuntu will not install. It just freezes shortly after loading the kernel. I suspect it is the same issue. The passing of time has made good information about this board even harder to find. Not as many people still have one, so I can't find instructions on how to fix the problem.

I think it has an Adaptec AIC7896/97 chipset that is causing the trouble. Does anyone have any advice on how to get past this install issue?

--
John Marcotte