2007 Jun 29 10:14

Re: [vox-tech] Raid Question

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 09:11:33PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> So, I'm looking at some new hard drives to increase my storage capacity
> and I'm having trouble deciding if I should raid 1 or not.
> Basically my options for the price are 2x250GB Sata hardware raid or a
> single 400 or 500 GB. It's seems fairly straightforward to setup
> hardware raids, and I've done it before with linux are there any gotchas
> anyone can think of or any disadvantages to what I'm thinking. With 2
> drives I'll still have 1 Sata port open on my Mobo for something else
> later. For that matter should I worry that much, and just get a single
> big drive. At this point the basic issue is that my digital photography
> and digital music are competing for what space I have left and I don't
> have a backup of either.

Often what kills one drive can kill another. It seems today that drives
rarely fail if they have the proper running conditions. I prefer storage
on another machine or something detached. Here are some options I would
consider.

The NSLU2 runs linux and lots of people hack it!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/73de/

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

CompUSA USB 2.0 3.5 inch External Hard Drive Enclosure
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=BROWSE&N=200125&product_code=312100&Pn=USB_2_0_3_5_inch_External_Hard_Drive_Enclosure

CompUSA USB 2.0/IEEE 1394a 3.5 inch External Hard Drive Enclosure
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=333105&pfp=XSELLCUSTVW

brian
--
Brian Lavender