2007 May 19 19:11

Re: [vox-tech] compiling cvs nv

Jimbo wrote:
Greetings:

My kde desktop has been crashing. Found out that there wasn't enough air going over my gpu.

With this I searched and found a program called nvclock. After d/l via synaptic and trying it it wouldn't recognize my gpu (8800gtx). I was fortunate to talk to the programmer in irc channel #nvclock in which I have to cvs the updated nvclock then compile it. With his help he gave me the shell commands that then proceeded to unload a whole bunch of files. He had to go to bed so I didn't bug him on compiling.

I have tried to self teach myself how to compile (via googling) what I have just d/l but finding that it is becoming a very huge obstacle.

If someone has the time can someone please enlighten me? I have no idea where to begin.

If this helps this is the shell imput/output: (had to d/l cvs)

The typical I don't know what I'm doing nor do I need to compile.
1. Make sure you have compiling tools, on Ubuntu a package call build-essential has it all. gcc/g++ and all the other goodies.
2. cd into the directory nvclock
3. ./configure
4. make
5. make install or checkinstall(I prefer checkinstall as it makes a package for your system which makes it easy to uninstall later)- note checkinstall is different from your normal packages and it may or may not work on other people's computers, mileage varies and it's not the technically correct way to compile packages.

hope that helps,
Alex