2007 May 01 23:54

Re: [vox-tech] [fixed] bootloader

Jimbo wrote:
I have grub as a boot loader. I have wondoze on one drive and linux w/ grub on the other. If I want to change drives I have to go into the bios and change hdd priority. Alex I should have set this up at the installfest but I didn't. Now I wish that I had. Can I config grub to load up windows even though it is on another hard drive?

I have a program called drak and it gives boot options but it doesn't seem to point correctly to the other hdd. The closet option to my sata drive it gives is dev/sda1 . I believe that I need to set it at dev/sda but unsure.

Jimbo

I looked at both advices given by David and Wade.

Was having a hard time deciding how to make this work. Googling helped me find someone that went thru the exact same thing, sata and all.

Here is my menu.lst file (in the grub folder):

timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/usr/share/gfxboot/themes/pclinuxos/boot/message
default 3

title linux
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/hdb1 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/hdb1 splash=silent
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

title failsafe
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/hdb1 failsafe
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

title Start Windows
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1

Using Drak I set winblows as default however I don't see any changes in this file.

I wasn't putting a space in between the map parameters but once I did it worked like a charm.
Not know exactly why these numbers mean but it is fixed exactly the way I want it.

One last thing: If I can switch the system like this it seems feasible that once booted up I could somehow boot into another os w/o restarting my pc every time, be it windblows or any other os.

Jimbo