2007 Apr 30 10:31

Re: [vox-tech] white screen

I think that you might have something there. I did set beryl (and 1 other 3d thing, can't remember the name) just before I shut down the computer.

How do I disable this? I don't want to get ris of it because I think my video card can handle it very easily.

I don't think that I have a cheap card, yet. nvidia 8800gtx.

Jimbo
----- Original Message ----- From: <jenks@resonance.org>
To: "lugod's technical discussion forum" <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 9:10 AM
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] white screen

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Jimbo wrote:

Greetings:
Had my linux installed at the installfest. Worked great at the time. 3d acceleration was rightchous.

I now have a new problem in which I cannot go to my desktop environment-just a white screen. It doesn give me a cursor in which can be moved: changes to a pointed hand-link hand-when placed at certain areas of the screen. I guess this means that the mechanics are inplemented but everything is a wash.

Grub does its thing, loads my os, then gives me a user screen as usual. When I try to log in as any user, including root, I wind up with a white screen.

I might be able to muddle thru and go to the x files (funny-used to watch this show a lot), and change a few options but this is very challenging for my given my lvl of expertise.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jimbo
Dear Jimbo,

I had this happen recently when I tried to install Beryl on my ubuntu Feisty. I assumed it didn't like my cheap video card. I went to a console (ctrl-alt-F1), uninstalled beryl and rebooted and everything was fine. I wonder what you were doing just before the white screen?

Yours,

Chris