2007 Apr 30 08:57

Re: [vox-tech] [revised] md5sum (w/o html)

Re: [vox-tech] [revised] md5sum (w/o html)

> Hi:
> I've d/l iso files for linux cds.
> Found suggestion on kubuntu web page to check these w/ md5sum.
> Hard time understanding outcome once iso runs thru program.
>
> Example:
> knoppix 5.2 iso run thru gives a md5sum value of
> 51955807506120c90d43deebb5bc5a8e .
>
> When hitting the "compare" button a window comes up with "Md5 Check Sums
> are different".
>
> Sabayon iso gives similar results.
>
> So...what does this mean?  I have a value but thats all I have.  No blatent
> signs telling me that the authenticity is legit nor file integrity.

The calculated sums should match with the values given in the separately
distributed file of sums (usually called MD5SUMS or SHA1SUMS). As an
extra step, you might want to use GnuPG to verify the digtal signature
in the MD5SUMS.gpg file (which will hopefully tell you whether the
MD5SUMS file is legit; you need to have a copy of the key used to
produce the signature).

For example, http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/feisty/ stocks theses files:

MD5SUMS                                 19-Apr-2007 01:53  446
MD5SUMS.gpg                             19-Apr-2007 01:53  191
ubuntu-7.04-alternate-amd64.iso         15-Apr-2007 08:43  698M
[...etc.]

When I start k3b in the firectory containing the iso files and the
MD5SUMS file, it automatically checks the ISOs agains MD5SUMS. If there
is a mismatch your ISO may have been corrupted in transport. In this
case I recomment using rsync to synchronize your file against the file
on the mirror. Rsync transfers only the changed parts of the file plus
some necessary communication overhead, potentially saving you from
downloading a whole 700 Mb again because 1 Mb was corrupted.

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13