2007 Apr 27 10:08

Re: [vox-tech] Num lock key never locked

On Thursday 26 April 2007 10:34:00 pm Tim Coddington wrote:
> On my new 'puter, E4300 Intel CPU, 2Gb, SATAII, AsRock ConRoe945G-DVD
> motherboard (Yea, I can help burn DVD's if I get my burner working).
>
> newly loaded with Ubuntu 6.1
>
> It would be nice to make the num-lock key come up in a locked state
> so the keypad would be useful to enter numbers on right away.  I go
> into the BIOS setup utility and alter the value that I think should
> accomplish this, but each time boot is complete, the num-lock is off.
>  Does Linux have something that toggles it off, thus overriding BIOS
> initial setup when it boots?

Here's a little snipped from my .xsession that does this

[ `hostname` == cat-in-the-hat.dnsalias.com ] && numlockx on

note that I use the same .xsession on different computers, so the
hostname check is to make sure the only computer I do this on is my
desktop, not my laptop.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/