2007 Apr 27 11:10

Re: [vox-tech] DNS MX Record Woes

Quoting Marc Elliot Hall (marc@hallmarc.net):

> When I check all my DNS settings (external DNS for this domain is
> handled by register.com), I don't see any problems -- even dnsreport.com
> and mxtoolbox.com agree that my settings are good.

It's the reverse DNS.  IIRC, no RFC requirement exists that MTA host's
forward and reverse DNS _must_ match, but craigslist isn't the only site
to apply this measure, anyway.

I'd personally insist on using a commectivity provider that allows me to
have appropriate reverse-zone values.  Note that this doesn't
_necessarily_ require delegating authority to you, nor giving you edit
access to the zonefile:  It would suffice for a provider to be receptive
to your "please use the following lines for the reverse zone entries for
my CIDR block" e-mail.

E.g., to use...

126	IN	PTR	mail.hallmarc.net.

...in swbell.net's zonefile for DNS zone 38.129.70.in-addr.arpa .

A reasonable provider will be willing to do that for you.  (Mine did.)
I concur that swbell.net probably won't, which is one reason why in your
shoes I'd try that, escalate to a supervisor when they say "no", and, if
that still doesn't work, take my business elsewhere.