2007 Apr 23 17:37

Re: [vox-tech] The incredible moving ethernet adapter

Re: [vox-tech] The incredible moving ethernet adapter

On Apr 23, 2007, at 11:45 AM, Bob Scofield wrote:

1)  The thought the MAC address was set by the card itself.
Well, kinda sorta. "The card" in this case is some chips built onto the motherboard. The MAC address is burned into flash or EEPROM or something somewhere on the card, normally, and read into RAM or stuffed into registers at powerup. But since the interface is integrated onto the motherboard there's no reason it can't be part of the BIOS.

2) I thought BIOS flashing was dangerous enough that one should do it only
when necessary.
Well, kinda sorta. Flashing the ROM on a machine via firmware running on that machine (which is what the average user has to do) is sort of like trying to do brain surgery on yourself. However, the factory usually has an external device that does the job with the system powered down and does not depend on anything running on the machine.

More like somebody else doing brain surgery on you. The difference being that if the factory tech screws it up, he can just re-run the procedure. And, well, they can't REALLY shut you down for the brain surgery. Thus does my analogy fall apart if you examine it too closely. I'm going to walk away now, whistling and looking nonchalant.

3) Why would IBM flash the BIOS on a hinge repair job? Just to be nice?
Maybe it's a standing order to, when they get their grubby paws on a system, a) upgrade that particular BIOS due to a bug or some such, or b) upgrade ANY system BIOS to the latest.

Or could be the tech was bored that day. :)