2007 Apr 16 23:34

Re: [vox-tech] Alarming spam

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Richard Harke wrote:

On Sat April 14 2007 11:58, Till Stegers wrote:
Another way spammers can get this kind of info (name + address) is by
compromising the machine of somebody that has your info in their address
book. For instance, if you send you vCard with full address around, a
lot of people might have this in their address book.

But again, why would they use my wifes name instead of mine?
Richard
If your wife has ever gotten an email from some well-meaning friend or family and it was addressed to a long list of people, then you can consider that address to be in danger of spam. Sometimes I forget and send an email to someone without changing it to my junk bucket address. When I see them send out a huge "look at this cool thing" email to everyone in their address book I ask them that if they are going to do that then please use gandalf@community.net

Gandalf Parker
-- Community.Net is a dead domain of an ISP which crashed and burned.
However you can wave a dead chicken and still write to me as gandalf at
that address. http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/w/waveadeadchicken.html