2007 Apr 11 17:42

Re: [vox-tech] ECC memory --- is it worth it? (semi-OT)

Re: [vox-tech] ECC memory --- is it worth it? (semi-OT)

Quoting hajhouse (hajhouse@houseag.com):

> Here's my perspective on that. Assuming that one of those uncorrected
> single-bit errors turned out to be in the worst possible place (say, a
> pointer in the kernel or in postgresql in a journaling memory structure)
> that turned out to cause data corruption that caused a day of work to be
> lost (i.e., the last good backup was 24 hours old)....

I used to worry a great deal about that -- starting, actually, with
Intel's first "Triton" (430FX) series of motherboard chipsets, the first
to omit parity RAM support, back around '94-95.  But as I continued to
use Linux and BSD on such units, I kept noticing that it just doesn't
happen.

Anyway, you pays your money, and you takes your chances.  ;->