2007 Apr 10 16:41

Re: [vox-tech] ECC memory --- is it worth it? (semi-OT)

Re: [vox-tech] ECC memory --- is it worth it? (semi-OT)

Quoting hajhouse (hajhouse@houseag.com):

> I've never understood the distinction. What's different between
> registered and unregistered DIMMs?

Registered RAM has a buffer through which data are checked in and out of
the stick's address space, to help ensure data integrity.  It's
generally supported only on server boards.  Unregistered RAM is more
often referred to as "unbuffered".  See:

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/techSupport/papers/registered.asp