2007 Apr 10 16:25

Re: [vox-tech] ECC memory --- is it worth it? (semi-OT)

På 2007-04-10, skrev Bill Broadley:
> hajhouse wrote:
>
> > So all AMD64-supporting boards are ECC-capable, then?
>
> Hrm, well, the motherboard maker has only to tweak a few bits in BIOS, and
> run traces to all 72 pins on the dimms.  I wouldn't rule out a non-ecc capable
> amd64, but it's much better than the intel situation where you have to buy
> a more expensive north bridge to get ECC.

Cool. I believe that this means that even if the BIOS for some strange
reason did not activate the mmu's parity support, such support would be
added by installing LinuxBIOS.*

* http://linuxbios.eu

> Keep in mind that it's often hard to find ECC dimms that are unregistered,
> seems like most dimms are non-ecc and non-registered, or ecc and registered.

I've never understood the distinction. What's different between
registered and unregistered DIMMs?

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13