2007 Apr 05 08:45

[vox-tech] Re: wireless wonders

It is my understanding that kernels 2.6.15 or newer do include drivers
for Broadcom cards, at least the 43XX series.

You do have to install the firmware--- you do this only once---which on
Fedora goes as follows:

*  Download the firmware extractor program, fwcutter:

   yum -y install bcm43xx-fwcutter

*  Extract the firmware:

   bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware bcmwl5.sys
   depmod -a
   modprobe bcm43xx

I did this a few months ago on my laptop, under Fedora Core 6.  I was
quite pleased, as in the past for the same laptop I had had to download
the driver, run ndiswrapper etc.

As far as I can recall, the above steps are all I did.  But I may be
wrong.  If you need further information, Google something like "BCM43XX
fwcutter".

Norm