2007 Mar 29 11:23

Re: [vox-tech] General Wireless Security Question

Re: [vox-tech] General Wireless Security Question

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Bob Scofield wrote:
And here's another question I think I know the answer to.  Given that people
can hack at public access points, I assume that as far as protecting critical
system files you're better off with using Linux than Windows since it would
be harder for the hacker to get into the root directory given the Unix
permissions.  Is this correct?
Based on previous experience running honeypots, Id guess that the answer to that is the same by wireless as not.

Linux is better than windows but not quite for the reason you think. If a windows running script-kiddie gets a windows based app to hack in to a windows based system then they tend to be at home once they get in. If a linux based script kiddie gets an app to hack into a linux based system they are often lost at that point. You would be amazed at how many times I got my hopes up about a sophisticated breakin only to watch the person stumble around trying to figure out how to see the directory.

Of course, you can always improve on their confusion using non-default arrangments or misdirection. Dont take for granted that you wont be broken into, plan for it. Its alot more fun.

Just one example... it doesnt hurt anything to have your system contact you whenever it boots up, or someone becomes root, or certain commands are run. Have it do a traceroute or netstat and email it to you on another system. So you get a few irritating emails. You will appreciate it if your laptop ever gets stolen or hacked.

Gandalf Parker
--
Having locks on the gate
doesnt mean you shouldnt also have a watchdog in the yard.