2007 Mar 27 00:28

Re: [vox-tech] starting xwindows

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Nick Schmalenberger wrote:

In my experience the neatest way to stop a Debian machine from starting
X on boot is to remove the package of the display manager. Otherwise,
I didnt want to remove it since I needed to have some of the graphic libraries loaded for some text-mode things I do.

you could do "update-rc.d -f xdm remove" or whatever your display
manager is. That is what would happen if you remove the package, except
it is still there and you could still do "/etc/init.d/xdm start" if you
felt like it.
OK I tried that:
/etc/init.d/xdm start

Not starting X display manager (xdm); it is not the default display manager

When you do startx or log in through the display manager, it should try
to start your window manager, and (I think, correct me if I am wrong) if
you don't have one it gives you a fixed size xterm, which you can really
do a decent amount with.
I did manage to get that on one of the things I tried. But running the command I wanted within that window just seemed to give me the text mode results instead of the gui version.

I seem to remember having problems a few times
getting icewm to start when I start X and I think adding it to .xinitrc
was one way to get it to work. The correct debian might have something
to do with /etc/alternatives.
Im giving up for tonite. Maybe in the morning I will google a few of these things and get some more items to try.

You could also try purging everything X
related then reinstalling xbase-clients which will depend on all the
rest and you might get twm or something too.
Its not that important. I dont want to mess with the whole system just to try out this one thing. If I cant find the starter on the system as it is then I will just toss the project.

Gandalf Parker