2007 Mar 26 20:57

Re: [vox-tech] starting xwindows

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Rick Moen wrote:

Ive tried startx, xinit, gdm
Make sure you have package "xbase-clients" installed.  It's the one that
contains startx.
Those all worked. They just didnt seem to get me into gnome. And gnome worked at one time also altho only at bootup as far as I know.

I believe the approved way to start GNOME from the command line is to
exec /usr/bin/gnome-session, somehow, e.g., by putting a line to that
effect in your .xinitrc file (and then do "startx", I guess).
OK that seemed to get the same result. An xwindow session, but no gnome menus. Just the debian splash screen and a mouse cursor.

But thanks for a new thing to try.

Gandalf Parker